Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is said to have loved sweet dishes prepared with almonds, marzipan and sugar such as the famous Mozartkugel chocolates, or the majestic Mozart-Gugelhupf.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (fan) and grease the Gugelhupf mould with melted butter.
- Cut the marzipan into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add finely cut butter and mix well.
- Stir in the egg yolks one by one. Flavour with cinnamon and orange peel (or lemon peel). Add a small shot of Cointreau or rum, to taste.
- Beat the egg whites with some vanilla sugar and granulated sugar to a stiff peak.
- Mix the flour with the cornflour/starch and fold into the egg yolk mix, alternating with the whites.
- Pour the mix into the prepared mould, flatten gently and bake oven for 45 – 50 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool slightly, then tip out. Coat with jam or marmalade, cover with the heated chocolate glaze and sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office